Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fiberglassing the outside of the bottom

February 27, 2011
I  took off the clamps and was pleased to see that the repair I did on the crack in the rail came out OK. I started sanding it, but the sandpaper on the belt sander ripped in half and I could do no more.  MaryAnn helped me flip the dory over again--each time it gets a little heavier. Then I started getting ready to fiberglass the bottom.  Using a hand saw, I cut off the the rails so that they were flush with transom. I sanded the whole bottom and the stem with the orbital sander.  I started laying out the fiberglass when I remembered that I needed masking tape along the bottom edge of plank two, and along the edge of the transom.  I also taped on each side of the stem. Then I laid the fiberglass out and trimmed it along the masking tape.  I was glad the tape was blue because it was easier to see the edges. Finally, I got to the exciting step of wetting the fiberglass with epoxy--I'm so impressed with the way the fiberglass becomes invisible (except for the texture) and how the epoxy brings out the color of the wood.

Masking the stem to get ready for the fiberglass.

Masking the transom to get ready for fiberglass.




Laying out the fiberglass and trimming it to the transom.

Laying out the fiberglass and trimming it to the stem.

Spreading epoxy on the fiberglass with a plastic putty knife.

Wetting the fiberglass with the epoxy.

Fiberglass on stem and bottom is wet with epoxy.

Fiberglass on the transom is wet with epoxy. Note that the rails are trimmed to match the transom.

No comments:

Post a Comment