Saturday, February 19, 2011

Tightening wire "stitches"

February 5, 2011  I reworked the transom to make it fit better and then tightened all the wires on the dory.  I discovered some that I had missed and put them in.  Some I tightened too much and snapped the wires.  Fortunately, I had enough wire left to replace them.  In turning the boat over, I snapped a piece off the edge of a puzzle joint where it was the thinnest (where it had been rabbeted). I have two other places where the then puzzle joint was missing-- I think they arrived that way.  I'm not sure whether to fill it with epoxy or try to glue in a piece of wood. I guess it's a good thing I was planning to paint the bottom. 
Bow wired together

Using pliers to tighten the stitches. Unfortunately, I tightened some too much and they snapped off.

Reworking the transom to make the planks extend beyond the edge of the transom,  and tightening them to get ready for the epoxy.

A couple of the puzzle joints are missing the rabbeted edge as in the #4 plank here.

No comments:

Post a Comment