Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gluing the rails pieces together

February 20, 2011

Each of the rails are in three pieces and need to be epoxied together.  As I started to lay them out, I realized that the only space that was long enough to do the work was on the floor under the dory.  Using one of the shop tips from the web site, I put plastic packing tape along joint of the scarf to save on sanding off the extra epoxy later.  I also used scrap pieces of wood to protect the rails from the clamps.  I just hope there is no epoxy  in contact with these pieces. Otherwise I'll have a bigger mess than if I had just used the clamps directly on the rails.

Rails are glued together on the floor under the dory.

1 comment:

  1. We cut out various shapes of plastic to put between the glued object and the bits of wood used with the clamps, just to be sure they didn't get glued together. Only downside is the plastic gets in the way when you're cleaning up any squeezed-out epoxy. (There's a word for that ... slag?)

    ReplyDelete