Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gluing port rail to dory

February 22, 2011
I took the clamps off the side I did yesterday and then glued the first layer of the rail on the other side.   I wish I had more clamps because I'm going to have to do the same thing two more times to finish this step.  But I'm too cheap to go out and buy another 30+ clamps.  The "Pony" spring clamps are definitely better than the other ones that I bought, but I think the C clamps work the best.  As we worked our way down the length of the boat, we alternated using the different types of clamps.  Some epoxy did squeeze out as we tried to make sure the rail was tight against the side of the dory.  The manual said not to tighten the clamps too much or the bond or we would lose too much epoxy.  It's had to know how much is too much, but the rail we put on yesterday seems OK.

First layer of port rail glued.
 I also started gluing the thwarts because I was going to have the same problem--I have only four clamps and will have to do them one at a time instead of all three at once. I love that CLC included different colors of wood to make them.

Long thwart glued.

No comments:

Post a Comment