Saturday, February 19, 2011

Putting in fillets

February 12, 2011
I worked on putting in the "fillets" in the bow, the transom, on each side of the bulkheads, and along the bottom seam.  I wasn't able to start until later in the morning because the cellar seems to stay around 54 degrees and it took about three hours to get to 60 degrees.   I wasn't sure what  to do about the wires.  On the planks I avoided them, but the directions showed covering them over when putting in the fillets. I don't know how I'm going to get them out later but I don't want the bulkheads to move and it's especially problem at the transom.  I finally got the stickers off the planks--I was so thankful that everything was labeled when I started assembling the planks, but these labels were tough to get off.  I finally used a razor blade and had to be careful not to pull off part of the wood.  I put masking tape along the edge at the bottom of plank 2 to protect it from fiberglass and epoxy.

Getting the labels off was a little tricky--I needed a razor blade.

Masking tape is in place to get ready for the fiberglass.  The sticks are to check to make sure the dory doesn't have  twist.

After mixing epoxy with wood flour and getting it to a peanut butter consistency, I put it into a plastic bag and then cut the corner off.

Using the bag allowed me to get a nice even bead of epoxy into each seam.

Using my fillet stick to smooth out the joint.

Using a plastic putty knife, I smoothed out each seam.  Even though I tried to clean up any excess epoxy, I still missed some spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment