Monday, February 21, 2011

Gluing starboard rail to dory

February 21, 2011
This morning I took the clamps off the rails.  For the most part the packing tape helped to make less of a mess, but I did have a couple of my scraps of wood stuck to the rail.  Fortunately, I was able to pry them off and then had to sand everything smooth. 

We flipped the dory back over and I mixed up some epoxy to a paste like consistency to put the rail on the dory.  I was hoping to do both rails but I had only enough clamps to do the starboard side.  I screwed the rail to the breast hook and then started adding clamps to work our way to the stern.

CLC says to always get more clamps and I can see why with this step. I had only enough clamps to do one side.  I went back over the joint between the rail and the edge of the dory with paper towels to clean up epoxy that was squeezed out with the clamps.

Bending the rail was not as difficult as I thought it would be, even though the rail is about an inch square. I've never built anything with curves like this, and it's cool to see how it all goes together. 
Even with all the clamps I had, there were only enough to do one side.

No comments:

Post a Comment