Monday, June 27, 2011

Varnishing Oars

June 27, 2011
The things I ordered from CLC arrived today.  The package spent all day Friday riding around the the local area but the substitute driver couldn't find me, and of course couldn't be bothered to just call me.  It wasn't a big order, just a small container of Cell-O-Fill and another quart of varnish, but without them I couldn't finish the thwarts and oars. 

I added another coat of epoxy on the new sliding seat support.  I discovered that by putting sticks covered with plastic in the slots and then supporting the sticks on boards, I could put a coat on the the whole thing at once.

By supporting the "yoke" on sticks, I could put a coat of epoxy on both sides at once.

With the new supply of varnish, I started on the old oars that I had sanded. After a bit of a struggle, I got the oar locks over the leather collars, and then suspended the oars from the ceiling under the deck.  That way I could varnish both sides of the oars at once.  I think they may have been stained before, because I ended up with stripes in the wood when I put on the varnish--tiger oars!

The oars are hanging from the ceiling of the deck so that I can varnish both sides at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment