Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dory setback- flotation blocks glued backward

June 28, 2011
Dory disaster!  When I tried to put in the center thwart, I discovered that I glued the flotation blocks on backward.  The cut out for the mast step was on the wrong side, and to make matters worse the slot between the blocks was not wide enough to fit over the bulkhead.  After thinking about the possibilities, I decided the only option that made sense was to take a saw and cut the blocks off the thwart and start again.   Once I had them off, I sanded them smooth and also had to sand the epoxy on the bottom of the thwart smooth.  In cutting them off, I scratched the thwart and decided to put a coat of unthickened epoxy on it to give it additional protection.

Two of the blocks have been cut off; one to go.

The last block goes the whole length and is more difficult to cut off.

I had to put some shims between the block and the thwart to keep the saw from binding.

Finally, the block is off.

The blocks are sanded smooth again.

I put a coat of epoxy on the thwart after sanding it.
June 29, 2011
With some trepidation, and after several test fittings, I glued the flotation blocks back on the middle thwart with thickened epoxy.  This time I also used a stick of wood to make sure the slot was wide enough to fit over the bulkhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment