Saturday, June 18, 2011

Installing the stern seat

June 18, 2011
I put another coat of varnish on the thwarts and the supports for the sliding seat.  I carefully drilled in the center of the epoxy plugs I put in the transom and then put the lower gudgeon back in.  I decided to wait for now on the upper gudgeon.  With the lower one in place I put the foam insulation that I had previously shaped.  It seems like ages ago that I did that.  This is an easy step because the foam isn't attached to anything--it just sits in place under the seat.  I'd forgotten that when I spray painted the top layer of foam, the paint melted into the foam.  I think I should have put some epoxy on it first, but I figured that it was going to be sealed under the stern seat anyway.  I carefully drilled holes in the boards to keep them from splitting and was relieved that I didn't drill all the way through the bottom of the boat.  The screws in that went into the bulkhead were no problem, but the screws that went into the block of wood worried me. Anyway, all went well and the seat is finally in place.

Screws for the gudgeon are back in place.

First layer of foam in place.

Second layer of foam in place.

Top layer of foam is in place with my ugly paint job.  I didn't realize the paint would melt the foam.

First seat board is in place.

The middle board is the easiest one to put in because it's easy to see where the screws need to go.

The seat is finally done.

No comments:

Post a Comment