Friday, March 11, 2011

Adding the skeg and glueing the daggerboard trunk

March 11, 2011
For today's task, I attached the skeg to the bottom of the dory and then put in fillets on each side. The skeg is attached with bronze screws from the inside of the dory.  First, I snapped a line from the bow to the stern to get the skeg straight and then pre-drilled holes.  From the inside I used a countersink bit and pre-drilled holes into the skeg.  With MaryAnn holding it in place and using the square to keep it vertical, I put in the screws.

Putting in the fillet was a little difficult because the epoxy was thick and my fillet stick was rough.  After I put down a bead of thickened epoxy with the "pastry bag" technique, I had trouble spreading it.  It tended to come right off the dory and and stay on the fillet stick. After a lot of fussing with it I finally got it in place.  After waiting a couple hours, I used the alcohol on my gloved hand to smooth out the epoxy. 

 I also assembled the daggerboard trunk and the mast step.    On Monday, I realized that I was going to run out of epoxy.  I'm really impressed with the response time at CLC.  I called Tuesday morning to order more epoxy and it arrived Thursday morning. 

I put down a bead of "peanut butter" consistency epoxy and then screwed the skeg to the hull with bronze #8 screws.
Skeg with the fillet in place.

 


I used thickened epoxy to assemble the daggerboard trunk and also the mast step.

No comments:

Post a Comment