Friday, March 4, 2011

2nd coat of epoxy on bottom of hull

March 4, 2011
Because I was concerned that the first coat of epoxy was very rough, I sanded the outside of the hull with 220 grit sandpaper with the orbital sander.  Then a rolled on the second coat of epoxy.  I called CLC and was told that epoxy doesn't flatten out like varnish, and that they typically put on several coats of epoxy and then sand it with 120 grit paper.  I was also reassured that the holes made by the wires will eventually fill themselves in as I add more coats of epoxy.  I was relieved to hear that because in may places the holes were still open and I thought they would be filled in by the first coat of epoxy.  While I was on the phone I also discovered that the screws I need for the daggerboard trunk and skeg are included in the kit.  I knew I had some stews but I thought they went with other hardwired (the oarlocks, etc)

The second coat of epoxy is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment