Saturday, April 23, 2011

Putting in bolts for aft thwart

April 23, 2011
Yesterday I started sanding the inside of the dory.  According to the manual, every inch needs to be sanded to a cloudy gray in order for the varnish to stick to it. Today, I continued sanding, but also decided to put in the bolts in the aft bulkhead.  This thwart is designed to be removable to make it easier to row.  The bolt is a lag screw on one end and a machine screw on the other.  One end is embedded in the bulkhead and the other is used for a threaded knob to make it easy to put the thwart on and off.  Once I finally found a 5/16" drill bit, I drilled a hole in the bulkhead, and then used the syringe to fill the hole with plain epoxy and screwed the lag screw end into the bulkhead.  I did the same thing on the other end of the bulkhead. 







A 5/16" hole is drilled into the rear bulkhead.

The hole is filled with unthickened epoxy and the bolt screwed in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment