Sunday, April 24, 2011

Finishing aft thwart installation

April 24, 2011

To finish the installation of the aft thwart bolts, I centered the thwart over the bulkhead, laid a scrap piece of plywood on the thwart, and then hit it with a rubber mallet.  The wood of the thwart is soft enough that I had a nice impression of the bolt on the underside of the thwart.  Using a bit that was slightly larger (3/8") than the bolt,  I drilled a hole through it.  I repeated this procedure on the other side of the thwart and was pleased when the thwart fit easily over the bolts and I could tighten it down with the threaded knobs.  I was rather dreading this step because if I messed it up, I didn't have any wood to make a new thwart.  Anyway, I'm relieved to have this step done and can move on.

The aft thwart is finished and ready for epoxy and varnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment