Saturday, April 23, 2011

Buying a trailer

April 18, 2011
Each step brings me closer to the day that I can put the dory in the water and I've been thinking about how I'm going to move it.  At first I thought I could just put it on a roof rack but every time we flip it, it gets heavier, and I don't think that solution will work.  I've been looking at trailers and hated to spend another $1,000+ for the trailer that CLC recommends.  I called the marina in town and they recommended a light weight Karavan galvanized trailer, which was a couple hundred dollars less. While I was thinking about that possibility I found a used one on Craigslist a couple days ago.  The fellow called me back today and said that if I wanted it I needed to come today because he was going to bring it to a dealer to sell it. He said he would even knock $50 off his asking price to make it worth my while to come get it.  Tim agreed to lend me his truck and I went to Derry, NH to get it.   Not that I know much about the subject, but it looked good to me.  It was a small 2010 Karavan just like what I was thinking about buying.  I was impressed that it was  light weight and all galvanized construction, even the wheels. The fellow helped me hook it up and I drove it home.  I even stopped in Keene on the way and used it to bring home the vinyl siding we ordered for the house. 

Unfortunately, backing up a trailer is much more difficult than it looks.  I spent about half an hour trying to back it into the yard.  Tim's truck finally gave up, overheated, and blew out bunch of antifreeze.  That was the end of that maneuvering--I stopped and just let the truck cool off over night.  The next morning, I filled the radiator and brought the truck back, and left the trailer where it was for now.





I think it is light enough that I should be able to tow it with my car.  With Tim's truck, I didn't even know it was there.

1 comment:

  1. First you got lucky, then ended with a slight misery. Anyhow, I’m sure that your car can handle a trailer like that. However, make sure that you drive cautiously.
    - Delena Millener

    ReplyDelete