Monday, May 16, 2011

Sea turtle marquetry

May 16, 2011
  While I was in the CLC store on the Friday of the Okoume Fest, one of the things I bought was a sea turtle marquetry inlay.  I had intended to just epoxy it to the surface of the stern seat, but learned that I needed to rout out .03" to inlay it into the seat.  I was hesitant about doing this but decided to buy it anyway.  The inlay included a an acrylic guide cut to the exact shape of the design.  Using the guide I used pencil to make a line, and then used a razor knife to scribe around the edge of the guide. 
   Using a scrap piece of wood, I made several trial runs with the router to get the straight cutting bit set to the proper depth.  I needed to take of such a small amount, I went too deep at first.  I finally found the right setting, and then routed out the surface close to but not meeting the scribed line. Then I used a chisel to pare away the little bit of material that was left between where I left off with the router and the scribed line.  Since my orbital sander was smaller in diameter than the circular marquetry, I used it to carefully smooth out the marks left by the router.
   I put epoxy in the circle that I routed out and on the back of the sea turtle.  I fit in in place and lined up the wood grain.  After covering it with plastic, I put a cement block and some weights on it to hold everything in place.

The circle is routed out for the sea turtle marquetry.

   Since I had already mixed up some epoxy, I decided to put a coat of epoxy on the rest of the boards for the stern seat and on the thwarts.

The thwarts have their first coat of epoxy--a preview of what they will look like varnished.

No comments:

Post a Comment