Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mounting the rudder on the dory

August 13, 2011
It took a week to put five coats of varnish on each on the rudder, daggerboard, mast, boom and tiller extension.  Each day would rub everything with a scotch brite pad and then put on another coat.

Today, I worked on the rudder to get it mounted on the dory.  I put the upper grudgeon on the transom and attached the pintles to the rudder.   I had already attached the lower grundgeon.   I had to call CLC to confirm which screws or bolts to use because the manual didn't really specify and I had a bag of hardware to choose from.   They said to drill through the rudder and use the machine bolts.  Since I was drilling through the Okoume, I was concerned about water getting in and decided to put some caulking in the holes before I put the bolts through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment