Friday, July 6, 2012

Solo Sail on the Connecticut River

Rigging sail at the boat launch.
Captain's log   July 5, 2012

Location:  Lat. N 43º 12'  Long. W72º 28'
Weather:    Mostly sunny with highs in the 80's.  Wind N at 10mph. No severe weather predicted.
Chart: nonexistent, but have some prior knowledge of area [ie. avoid cattails -- shallow water]
Current: flowing south [down river]

Armed with my new sailing knowledge [I spent last week at Wooden Boat School's seamanship course], I loaded the car for my first solo trip in the "Seaturtle".  After making sure I had the oars and my lifejacket, I packed in the rudder, tiller extension, daggerboard and sails, hitched the trailer, and headed for the Connecticut River.  Fortunately, winds were light and I rigged the boat at the launch ramp while I was still on dry land.  Sadly, I still need my cheat sheet for knots, but finally had everything set up.  After several false starts, I managed to avoid the dock and get the boat into the water.  When will I ever master the art of backing up the trailer?  Probably right after I master making turns without running it over the curb.

Because the boat ramp is in a sheltered spot, I had to row a few feet to get out into the main part of the river.  I managed to do that without running aground on the cattails, and I put down the daggerboard.   The sails filled with wind and I left Vermont for New Hampshire.  Then I was immediately confronted with the problem of how to hold everything and stay on course.  The jib on the dory does not come across by itself; it has two sheets instead of one to pull it across by hand.  And of course I also had the mainsheet.  In the other hand I had the tiller extension.    The dory uses a push-pull system to control the rudder.  The advantage is that I didn't have the move the tiller behind my back; it was always at my right side.  The disadvantage was that it was not immediately apparent whether to push or pull it, and the New Hampshire shore was rapidly approaching.

After a little trial and error, I made ready to come about, pushed the tiller hard over, did a little juggling act with the sheets and was on a successful tack back to Vermont.  I caught a nice puff of wind, the boat heeled up a bit, and in about three minutes, I did the whole procedure again to avoid running aground.  I gradually realized that I didn't need to hold both jib sheets; I only needed the leeward one to control it.   With the current against me and fickle winds, I didn't make much progress. I probably only went a couple hundred yards up the river but I got lot of practice coming about. I even did a a few jibes, but was concerned about dropping too far down river to do them very often.

After a couple hours of tacking (where else could you sail and visit a different state on each tack), I headed back.  I'm pleased to report that I sailed right up to the dock, pulled up the dagger board and tied up the boat completely without incident.  I felt like a pro.

Ready to get underway.

Finally under sail!
Catching a breeze.

4 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed reading your blog and I've learned a lot from you. Your boat is lovely!

    Soon I'll be putting the last coat of fiberglass on the interior of my own CLC Northeaster Dory. Then it's on the finish sanding and varnishing. My blog isn't as detailed as yours, but if you're interested in my progress you can follow it at lakenorforkadventures.blogspot.com. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Blog! I wish I had found it 3 months ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Blog! I wish I had found it 3 months ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent blog. Also wish I'd found it when I started my build on 19 February of this year. We're now at the stage you blog as "Putting a coat of epoxy on the outside of the hull". Also got some of the sailing parts built up too. I look forward to any updates and more pictures of your lovely boat.

    ReplyDelete