Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Mounting rudder on dory

When I tried to put the rudder on the dory, I discovered that the gudgeons were not lined up right and the pintles would not go all the way in.  I've known about the problem for awhile but hated the thought of drilling more holes in the dory.  However,  I had no better solution and decided to move the top gudgeon.  I managed to re-use two of the holes and only needed to drill two holes instead of four.  I used silicon caulking to fill the holes.  With one of the old holes I may just put an extra bolt through it just for looks.  The other hole is closer to one of the new holes and is mostly covered by the washer of the bolt.  After all the work I've done, drilling these extra holes is very discouraging.  But it needed to be done if I'm to be able to sail the dory.

The rudder is in working order and attached to the dory.

After making sure I could get the rudder on and off the dory, I added the little metal stop to keep the rudder from floating off the dory when it's in the water.  To get the rudder off, I just need to turn the stop 90 degrees. 

Metal stop keeps rudder from floating off the dory.  The hole on the right is the one that stills needs to be filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment